Daily News reports:
They want freedom — plus $540 million.
A Georgia couple who years ago turned themselves in for allegedly locking their child in a basement are now asking to get their charges dropped ASAP — and to get more than half a billion dollars, too.
In a two-page, handwritten “plea offer” to the Gwinnett County District Attorney’s Office, Therian and Recardo Wimbush said they should “IMMEDIATELY” be freed from the “false, fictitious and fraudulent” case against them.
That case goes back to June 2014 — when the couple turned themselves in for allegedly locking the oldest of their 10 children in a basement bedroom for months at a time.
The boy, who was 13 at the time of the arrest, told police his parents punished him for “taking the family DVD player and lying about it,” according to theAtlanta Journal-Constitution.
The couple faces seven counts each of child cruelty.
They are now acting as their attorneys, and the wife has filed dozens of motions in the case — including a $500 million lawsuit last year accusing child service works, judges, attorneys, police and an “anonymous caller” of conspiring against them.
The latest filing, from Monday, says the couple should be freed from jail and the county should pay them “$600,000 per day for each day that they have spent falsely imprisoned.” That would add up to more than $540 million.
The couple demand they receive 60% of that sum upon their release, and then the rest “on the first of each month” for the next two years, starting in February 2017.
The parents are due in court Friday for a hearing, where the date for their trial could be set.
Asked for comment on their cash grab request prosecutor Dan Mayfield told the journal-Constitution, “I look forward to a jury trial very soon.”