Sean Spicer said that Donald Trump isn’t afraid of anybody, including the media.
The incoming White House press secretary — who previously worked as the communications director for the Republican National Committee — said that “business as usual is over” once Trump takes office.
“I think what I mean by that is that you know, the president-elect looks at this and says what’s best for the country?” Spicer said during an interview with Hugh Hewitt Thursday. “How do we put America and Americans first and stop trying to figure out how we cater to you know, pundits and the establishment class, big donors?”
Hewitt asked Spicer if Trump will maintain the same press conference schedule as previous presidents.
“That’s a good question,” he said, “because I think the thing that you’ve seen with Donald Trump is that he doesn’t look to the past and say ‘I’ve got to conform to these precedents.’ He figures out what’s the best way. And so maybe we do a series of press conferences, but maybe we do some town hall, you know, Facebook town halls. Maybe we go out and solicit input from Twitter. I don’t — the answer is we’re looking at a lot of things.”
Spicer said Trump will use “various outlets to continue the conversation.”
“Look, I get it, we’re not going to win a battle whether The New York Times is going to ever give us a fair shake or not,” Spicer continued. “But we recognize that there’s, you know, a few thousand readers or so left that still look at The New York Times, and so it’s worth, probably, talking to them,” Spicer said. We’re going to utilize various outlets to continue the conversation.”
“As you point out, he’s not afraid of anybody.”
“Well, I think the first nine hours are going to be pretty exciting,” he said of Trump’s first day in office.
“It’s going to be day one, week one, first month, first 100 days, but he’s not going to stop.”