In an unbelievable scene on Wednesday, during a trial for arson the defense lawyer’s pants caught on fire while he was giving his closing argument.
Stephen Gutierrez, 28, had the burdensome endeavor of having to argue that his client’s car had spontaneously combusted.
Guiterrez had been messing with something in his pants pocket durimg his closing argument when smoke started to fume out of the pocket. He was rushed out of the court room and would return later unharmed.
He claimed that the incident was an accident and related to a faulty battery in an e-cigarette in his pocket. Though it seems like quite the coincidence that his pants would seemingly spontaneously combust while defending spontaneous combustion.
The Miami Herald reported:
Gutierrez was representing Claudy Charles, 48, who is accused of intentionally setting his car on fire in South Miami-Dade. He had just started his closing arguments when the fire broke out. Jurors convicted Charles anyway of second-degree arson.
Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman, in the coming days, could decide to hold Gutierrez in contempt of court.
The 28-year-old lawyer graduated from Florida International University’s law school in 2015.
With millions of users across the country, e-cigarettes deliver vaporized nicotine through a heated liquid solution. But questions about the health and fire risks of the products have mounted, with the U.S. Department of Transportation recently banning e-cigarettes from checked bags on airplanes.