Fox News announced on Wednesday that veteran host Bill O’Reilly had been fired.
O’Reilly had been the subject of a baseless sexual harassment scandal. Fox News terminated him out of fear of suffering another embarrassing scandal like the one that former CEO Roger Ailes faced.
According to reports, O’Reilly’s 8 pm time slot will be filled by Tucker Carlson.
O’Reilly released the following statement after news broke that he had been terminated:
“It is tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims,” he said.
“But that is the unfortunate reality many of us in the public eye must live with today,” he said. “I will always look back on my time at Fox with great pride in the unprecedented success we achieved and with my deepest gratitude to all my dedicated viewers. I wish only the best for Fox News Channel.”
Carlson has been a rising star for the network, having filled in Megyn Kelly’s spot when she left the network. With O’Reilly out, Carlson will be one of the main hosts called on to challenge liberals who appear on the network.