Doctors are now warning people about the dangers of eating sushi after a new parasite has been identified.
According to medical experts, the parasite can be found in sushi and can cause severe abdominal pain, bleeding, and fevers.
A 32-year-old man was recently hospitalized after eating sushi. He reported feeling extreme abdominal pain and a low-grade fever. After doctors analyzed him, they determined that a parasitic worm had “firmly attached” to his upper gastrointestinal tract.
Conservative Tribune reports:
After doctors removed the parasite, the man’s symptoms were “resolved immediately.”
The patient reportedly had anisakiasis, also known as a herring worm disease, a condition that can be caused by consuming contaminated raw or undercooked fish or seafood.
WCVB in Boston reported that treating anisakiasis may include removing the worm by endoscopy or surgery.
According to The BMJ, most of the cases were reported in Japan, but that some cased have been reported in Western countries.
If you love sushi, be on the lookout for this parasite. KDSK St. Louis reports that consumers can avoid coming into contact with the parasite by buying their sushi from reputable restaurants that use high quality fish and fresh ingredients.
What do you think about this? Share this story on social media and leave a comment below.