An Ohio police officer is lucky to be alive after he came into contact with a synthetic opioid that nearly killed him.
According to WKBN-TV, Patrolman Chris Green from East Liverpool, Ohio, had to be taken to the hospital after he wiped traces of the synthetic opioid fentanyl from his uniform.
The incident took place on Friday after officers blocked in a car that they suspected was involved in a drug deal.
“We think they were trying to flee, but they were blocked in,” East Liverpool Captain Patrick Wright told reporters. “Once they got blocked in, they tried to dispose of the evidence in the vehicle … There was white powder on the seat, on the floor, on the guys’ shoes and on his clothing.”
Green had “followed station protocol for handling drugs by putting on gloves and a mask when he searched the car.”
However, when he returned to the station, an officer told him he had a white powder on his shirt.
“Just out of instinct, he tried to brush it off — not thinking,” Wright said.
One hour later, Green passed out and started overdosing.
“They called an ambulance for him and the ambulance responded for him,” Wright said. “They gave him one dose of Narcan (anti-opioid drug) here and then transported him to East Liverpool City Hospital, where they gave him three additional doses of Narcan.”
Conservative Tribune reports:
According to WRTV-TV, fentanyl is so powerful that it can be absorbed through skin contact, and just a little bit can cause an overdose. That’s why just brushing a little bit of powder off of his skin could have led to death for this officer.
Thankfully, Green is fine. How many cops won’t be, though? How many of our officers will die in this horrible epidemic?
We must put an end to the opioid epidemic now. Our police officers face enough danger in a give day, the last thing they need is to worry about hidden dangers like this.
What do you think about this? Share this story on social media and leave a comment below.