War appears to be imminent in the Middle East as tensions between Saudi Arabia and Qatar continue to rise.
According to reports, Saudi Arabia recently issued an ultimatum to Qatar, ordering that they fulfill 10 conditions or face a possible armed conflict.
“Saudi Arabia gives Qatar 24 hr ultimatum to fulfill 10 conditions that have been sent,” stated Reza H. Akbari from the Institute for Peace and War Reporting.
— Reza H. Akbari (@rezahakbari) June 6, 2017
Here are the 10 conditions:
1. Immediate severance of diplomatic relations with Iran,
2. Expulsion of all members of the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas from Qatar,
3. Freezing all bank accounts of Hamas members and refraining from any deal with them,
4. Expulsion of all Muslim Brotherhood members from Qatar,
5. Expulsion of anti-[P]GCC elements,
6. Ending support for ‘terrorist organisations’,
7. Stopping interference in Egyptian affairs,
8. Ceasing the broadcast of the Al Jazeera news channel,
9. Apologizing to all [Persian] Gulf governments for ‘abuses’ by Al Jazeera,
10. Pledging that it (Qatar) will not carry out any actions that contradict the policies of the [P]GCC and adhering to its charter.
Those ten conditions center on Qatar’s alleged connections to Iran and groups such as Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood. At the heart of the conflict is also a scandal regarding Qatar’s state news agency.
To say Middle East politics are complicated would be an understatement. None the less, Saudi Arabia appears very serious and both nations are allies to the United States.
What do you think will come of this? Share this story on social media and leave a comment below.