The latest leaks out of the White House have revealed that President Donald Trump is considering getting rid of Chief of Staff Reince Priebus.
With Sean Spicer out, Priebus now finds himself in Trump’s crosshairs.
According to Axios:
- President Trump knew that appointing Anthony Scaramucci as communications director would humiliate Reince, who fought hard against it.
- Scaramucci was smuggled into the meeting with the President on Thursday so Reince wouldn’t know about it. Trump had already taken pains to hide the discussions from his Chief of Staff, knowing Reince would try to foil the move.
- Trump also knew that inserting a line in the press release saying Scaramucci would report directly to the President — doing an end-run around Reince — was perhaps an unendurable public humiliation.
- Reince has very few true allies inside the building. At this point, they don’t stretch much further than his personal assistant and the RNC holdovers on the press team.
- At the senior level, the only WH official who will go to the mat for Reince’s survival is Steve Bannon. They’ve become allies of convenience in a feud against Jared and Ivanka (“Jivanka,” as Bannon calls them to associates.) Jared and Ivanka distrust Reince, think he’s incompetent, and want him gone ASAP.
- Still, there’s no obvious replacement, though a number of names have been tossed around. (This is why I’ve never written a Reince-is-terminal story in this newsletter.)
It is clear that Trump is fed up of Priebus and has wanted to get rid of him for a while.
What do you think about this? Should Trump get rid of Priebus? Share this story on social media if you want Trump to replace him.