A sidewalk along the south fence of the White House is going to be closed permanently to the public as of Wednesday night, after a decision by the United States Secret Service.
In so far, this sidewalk was already closed every night from 11pm to 6am since 2015. With this new change, it will be off limits around the clock.
This is in response to all of the people who have been trying to access the White House illegally by scaling the fence on the east side.
In March, a man used this method to enter the property grounds for 16 minutes before being detained, although he never gained access to the actual White House.
The public is being reassured that this measure is not going to hinder the public from being able to view or photograph the White House and that no additional ‘physical’ barriers are going to be installed.
The same measures are going to be put into place for a north fence along the White House as well.
The closure will “lessen the possibility of individuals illegally accessing the White House grounds,” Secret Service Communications Director Cathy Milhoan said. In March, a man scaled a fence east of the White House at night and was on the property’s grounds for 16 minutes before being detained. He never entered the White House, the Secret Service said. President Donald Trump was inside the residence at the time of the March 10 incident. The intrusion was the latest in a series of breaches at the White House in recent years. Security has been boosted, including the installation in 2015 of sharp spikes on top of the black iron fence that circles the 18-acre (7-hectare) property.