A five year old was the victim of a freak accident that nearly ended his life.
He was less than an inch away from death when a pencil impaled is chest and narrowly missed puncturing a major artery of his heart.
Her was rushed to the hospital immediately by his parents where surgeons worked diligently to safely remove the pencil. The said that it was only .2 inches away from his injury being instantaneously fatal.
The tip of the pencil pierced the boys superior vena cava, according to the head of cardiothoracic surgery.
The parents made absolutely the right decision by rushing to get help as opposed to trying to remove the pencil themselves at home. If they did the latter, the boys situation might not have ended up so good.
If there is a lesson to be taken away from this almost-tragic accident, it is let the professionals do what they’re paid to do.
From Fox News:
A five-year-old boy was reportedly less than an inch away from death after a pencil impaled his chest and narrowly missed puncturing a major artery in his heart. The boy, whose name was not disclosed by Asia Wire, reportedly tripped while holding the pencil.
His parents rushed him to Lianjiang People’s Hospital near their home in South China’s Guangdong Province before medics advised that he be transferred to Central People’s Hospital of Zhanjiang, according to the report. Once there, surgeons worked to safely remove the pencil, which was .2 inches away from causing a fatal injury.
Dai Ming, head of the department of cardiothoracic surgery, told Asia Wire that the tip of the pencil pierced the boy’s superior vena cava. Ming said that the boy’s parents acted heroically in seeking help rather than attempting to remove the pencil at home.