Devin Waxman, a Florida middle school student, was bitten by a snake while walking around on school property.
He attends Markham Woods Middle School, which apparently houses more than students and teachers.
Waxman said that he did not see the slithering snake until it was too late, only noticing it after he was already bitten on his ankle.
It latched onto his leg while he was trying to throw away his water bottle, and it would not let go until he kicked it off. Waxman quickly fled the area, fearing more bites.
The snake who bit him looked like a cottonmouth viper. It has been days since he was bitten, but Waxman says his ankle is “sore. I don’t know when the pain is going to stop.”
The bite was dry, meaning no venom was injected, making this unlucky incident a lucky one. This situation would have gone from annoying to deadly.
From Fox News:
Cottonmouths are common in Central Florida and their venom is potent. The teenager, who got two fang marks on his ankle, said he considers himself very lucky because his bite was dry – meaning no venom was injected.
“I’m very grateful for that,” Waxman said. “That could have been very bad if it went the other way.”
Seminole County School District has sent warning to parents and students to be on alert for other snakes.
Animal expert Bob Cross said drought plaguing Central Florida is pushing cottonmouths from their normal habitats. “I mean, if the swamps are drying up, cotton mouths are just like alligators, they’re going to go to the next water hole,” he told Fox 35 Orlando.