Kayla McAllister went with her 11-year old son to Capital West Tallahassee GameStop because of a special event where second-hand games were being traded off.
When they came home with their game of choice, Grand Theft Auto V, her son found something strange in the box
The little guy found some strange white powder in a baggie inside his game instead of a voucher. he did the right thing, like a good son, and brought the mysterious substance to his mother.
The mom took the ziplock bag to the Gadsden County Sheriff’s Office, where they tested the substance and confirmed that it was methamphetamine.
The mother is furious. “I could have lost a child, said McAllister, who was fuming that the GameStop did not properly check the game for its contents. This exact same thing happened a few months ago in Louisiana only a few months ago!
Caveat to parents – check your children’s used games. Caveat to drug dealers – what in the world are you doing?
From Heat Street:
The similarities between the two cases are so striking that McAllister started getting messages accusing her of being a “troll” who had fabricated the whole story for some obscure (and unknown) motive. GameStop has since issued a statement to Kotaku saying they are “extremely concerned” about what happened and have been in touch with local police to help them solve the investigation: We are disappointed to hear about the experience one of our customers recently had when purchasing a pre-owned video game from one of our local Tallahassee, Florida stores. We work diligently to ensure the quality of our pre-owned items are like new. Unfortunately, in this circumstance our thorough process fell short. We are extremely concerned that this incident occurred, and are working with the local police department to support them in their investigation.
As Kayla McAllister explained in a Facebook post on Sunday, she and her son had visited the Capital West Tallahassee GameStop branch over the weekend where a second-hand games trade off was happening. But it wasn’t until they returned home to install the game that her son stumbled upon the suspicious white powder. Puzzled, the kid brought it to his mother and asked what it was. “Clearly the game was not properly checked when it was traded in and because of the carelessness i could have lost a child. Thankfully He brought it right to us” McAllister wrote, clearly shocked by what happened.