To some people, “The Purge” is more than just a movie. The plot behind this 2013 movie includes crime, murder, and a whole lot of violence that is made legal for one night each year.
A 20-year old Indianapolis man named Johnathan Cruz was responsible for a series of killings last year that spanned across four days. He shot men in Indianapolis on the city’s east and north sides.
He killed three people and justified his actions by citing the movie, “The Purge.”
For his horrific actions, Cruz is now facing three consecutive life sentences. He was formally sentenced on Thursday by a Marion County judge.
Cruz pleaded guilty to the three counts of murder last month. This was a smart move on his part because it made prosecutors drop their plans of going after him via the death penalty.
The attacks he made were “totally random” and he did not hand choose these men.
From Fox News:
An Indianapolis man is facing three consecutive life sentences in prison for killing three people over four days last spring in attacks that authorities say he justified by citing the horror movie, “The Purge.” A Marion County judge is scheduled Thursday to formally sentence 20-year-old Johnathan Cruz, who pleaded guilty last month to three counts of murder. Prosecutors dropped plans to seek the death penalty. Cruz was charged with fatally shooting three men during attacks on the city’s east and north sides. Detectives say a witness told them Cruz confessed he’d been “purging” by shooting and robbing people, referring to the 2013 movie with a plot about violent crime, including murder, being legal one night each year. Prosecutor Terry Curry says the attacks by Cruz were “absolutely random.”