In Ramapo, NY, a 10-year-old boy’s father, Ephraim Zagelbaum, is now facing charges after the kid at a bunch of candy that was infused with THC. THC is the main active ingredient that is found in marijuana.
This led to the child being hospitalized over the weekend. The 37-year old father, Zagelbaum, should have known better and he is now looking at charges of endangering the welfare of a child.
The Ramapo Police Department is looking into the incident, but so far, they have discovered that the boy accidentally ingested the candy. He was left alone in the family vehicle around 5:30 pm when he found a small package of candy.
Being a typical child, he did what any other kid would do. He saw candy, he ate said candy.
He ate approximately 250mg of the active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol, which is more commonly known as THC. He was treated for this and then released from the hospital for the possibility of an overdose.
The police are urging people to take drugs seriously, even the newly-legalized marijuana, and to keep it away from children.
“The child saw candy and did what most children would have done, he ate some. The child suffered the effects from the THC in his body,” police said. The boy is believed to have ingested at least one piece of candy containing 250mg of THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, the main mind-altering ingredient found in marijuana. He was hospitalized, treated and released, police said. The incident was reported to police as a possible overdose, and the boy’s father, Ephraim Zagelbaum, was arrested. Zagelbaum, 37, of Spring Valley, faces charges of endangering the welfare of a child. The marijuana candy was taken into evidence for testing and weighing, pending additional possession charges, police said. The department also reminded people to carefully watch their children, and properly store drugs. “Marijuana comes in many forms. Just as any other drug, prescribed or not, there are precautions that must be taken to protect others, especially young children,” police said.